Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wicked in Singapore #2

Hi! So, sorry I haven't been blogging more regularly, but we've been having a lot of late nights on this trip!

So, on Friday (you know, the day I promised to blog about that night, haha. Oops) we went to Universal Studios. It was so much fun! I'm not really a ride person, but I love the details they put into each world of these places. It's the little touches that make it realistic.

I loved the New York world, but my favourite was probably the Far Far Away world. I love Shrek! But we got to meet the cast of Madagascar which was awesome (yes, I am a big kid, haha).






On Friday night we went to the Stage Door, mostly to try and catch all the cast members who leave so quickly!
And it was amazing. I'd met some cast members before, but it was my first time for a lot of them. And they're all so lovely! The highlight was David Harris (Fiyero) signing my program and spelling my name correctly although he's only ever seen it on twitter!
But there was a moment when we were killing time before going to the Stage door by buying WICKED merch (as you do), and we could hear the end of Jemma's 'Defying Gravity' from the lobby!!! And it was so beautiful, and so Jemma and I realised in that moment how much I missed the show and cast and YouTube does not do Jemma justice... and I cried. Yep, in the lobby. It was awkward.

 





On Saturday, we were so excited all day about seeing the show! I barely slept the night before! We went and did the Changi WWII tour that morning, which was really good.

We heard some really cool stories about Australian P.O.Ws from that time, and I'm hoping to use it when I teach WWII later this year.

And then... finally, after 8 months of withdrawal, missing the show and longing to see it again... WICKED! Front row centre!!
So amazing there are no words! I cried in the overture (again, awkward. I also cried again in Defying Gravity, but at least this time I was seeing it!) And then we bolted (and I do mean bolted. I had my shoes off and everything) to the Stage Door and met more cast members that we'd missed the night before.

I'd written some of the cast letters before we went, and given them out on Friday night. And both David and Elisa (Nessarose) thanked me and said they were sweet! They read them!!!!

Yesterday was a pretty light day. We went to the Titanic Exhibition, which was incredibly moving and sad. We also happened to go (OK, it was planned) exactly 100 years from the day the ship sunk. When you go in, you're given a boarding pass from an actual passenger. At the end, you discover your fate.

I was Eva Georgette Light, AKA Mrs Bertram Frank Dean. I was 33, from Devon England and travelling to Kansas with my husband, 1 year old son (Bertram V Dean) and 9 week old daughter (Elizabeth Gladys 'Millvina' Dean) in 3rd class. I spent the whole time hoping that at least my kids had survived the sinking.

The exhibit was amazing, you actually feel like you're on the ship! Which means you feel really underdressed. I got my photo taken on the replica of THE staircase (!!!!) and it was so moving.
And yes, I and my children survived the sinking. My husband did not.

Today we did the zoo and the night safari, both of which were amazing... until it started pouring down from nowhere. But it was still fun! We saw lions! (I love lions).

Tomorrow, we're planning to hit the museum before seeing Wicked again! (And stage door, of course). Front row again! Yay!




1 comment:

  1. WOAH! WOAH WOAH!! AHHH THAT IS SO AWESOME! Beyond words! You must be having the time of your life!! Stilll tell Kelly I want my program :D

    ReplyDelete